Denver ER Doc
Denver ER Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery Internship, Veterinary Acupuncture trained, Wildlife and Exotics

Hi- My cat is about 13 years old and very thin. However,

My cat is about 13 years old and very thin. However, he also has a voracious appetite, although he is prone to vomiting sometimes, just after feeding. When I took him to the vets about 6 months ago for an unrelated issue regarding his paw, I mentioned this and was told that he probably has worms, and was an athletic cat. The worming tablet which was prescribed didn't help the symptims, and he just seems to be getting thinner, and more depressed.
I am about to buy some off the peg spot-on worming treatment, so see if that helps.
Could you offer some advice, please?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Denver ER Doc replied 6 years ago.
Hi there,

Did your veterinarian run any bloodwork, a urinalysis, or a fecal sample during the visit? Does your cat drink any more water than usual or urinate more than usual since he started losing weight and gaining appetite?

Dr. Paul
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No, the vet did no analysis, as the main reason for visiting that day was a bleeding paw.

He likes to be outdoors, so I don't see his toilet habits I'm afraid. He always drinks lots of water, mostly outside from the waterbut.

Thanks for the information.

I am a bit worried that your cat may have a more serious issue than worms. His history of drinking a lot, eating voraciously and not gaining any weight is very suspicious for diabetes. This is fairly common in older cats and causes them to eat voraciously but not gain any weight because they cannot use any of the sugars from the food. It leaks out in their urine causing them to urinate more and drink more to try to compensate.

Ruling out worms is simple enough by checking a fecal analysis, but I would recommend that you have a blood chemistry and urinalysis checked on your cat to rule out diabetes and a few other endocrine diseases.

Hope that helps!!
Dr. Paul