Andrea Roberts
Andrea Roberts, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years as a companion animal veterinarian; BVMS and MRCVS.

My ferret had diarrhea and was lethargic, the vet called it

Customer Question

My ferret had diarrhea and was lethargic, the vet called it "blanking out." She started him on a special diet, a beef cake, an antibiotic, and gave him a dewormer. He didn't get better for 3 1/2 weeks and started vomiting. We did Sub_Q fluids for 5 days. Now he is 100% and acting like nothing was ever wrong. What could it have been or still be?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Andrea Roberts replied 6 years ago.

Hi there

The most likely thing in a ferret of that age and with the improvement that you have seen would be parasitic- that doesn't just mean worms, its also very common for ferrets to be affected by a protozoal organism called 'giardia' which causes all these symptoms, and would have been very effectively treated with the antibiotic and worming combination that he was given.

I'm glad he is better. If it reoccurs then i would seriously consider sending a sample away for fecal analysis as that would confirm giardia if it is present. I strongly suspect that is what he suffered from.

Regards Andrea

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you very much! Second opinions are always helpful. I appreciate your time and answer. My vet is still concerned and is keeping in touch with me. Thank you again!!
I'm glad to try and be of help- i do hope he remains in good health. Andrea