Dr. Steven Osborne
Dr. Steven Osborne, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of Veterinary Medicine expertise with experience in canine and feline medicine and surgery

Our Mini Doxie has reoccuring yeast infections in between all

Our Mini Doxie has reoccuring yeast infections in between all four legs, for this we apply Genta Spray 60 MLS. She also has smelly ears which we apply T8 Keto spray usually once a week. This normally keeps the ears clear and the yeast buildup in her legs stays away for 3 -4 weeks.

Is there a holistic or organic med we can use in lieu of these medicines.

Thank you XXXXX [email protected]
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Steven Osborne replied 6 years ago.
HI, I'm Dr. Steve and I have a few questions. How old is your dog? Does she have any abnormal hairloss? How long has this been going on?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It has come and gone over the past 4 years. The what I call yeast on her legs is a dark color and it itches her. The redness appears in her vaginal area. The discoloration areas always appears after we smell stinkiness in her ears. Lucy is 7 years old and doesn't have any hair loss.

Thank you

Robert Poskin

Thanks for the information. Whenever I have a dog that has recurring yeast infections, I wonder about her thyroid level. The thyroid is responsible fo maintaining skin health and if the thyroid hormone level is low, dogs become more susceptible to skin infections including yeast infections. If this is what is going on with her, you could bathe her with an anti fungal/antiyeast shampoo like Malaseb. This may make help reduce the yeast. I have my clients bathe 1-2 times a week for 2-3 weeks or until the skin looks normal. The other thing that I have my clients do is have a thyroid hormone level test done. This is a blood test that tells if the thyroid hormone is at the proper level. If it is low there are thyroid hormone supplements that need to be given to get the level where it should be. Discuss this with your vet and hopefully this will help. Good Luck

Please click the accept button if this has helped. Thanks