Dr. Meredith
Dr. Meredith, Veterinarian
Experience:  mixed species experience

dog has thrown up twice tonight. she is a chocolate lab.

dog has thrown up twice tonight. she is a chocolate lab. her eyes are blood shot and all her skin is very red. is something that could be serious. she is almost 5 yrs.
Hello, I am Dr. Meredith and I would like to help. I am sorry to hear that your dog is not feeling well. By answering a few questions, I may have a better idea about what is going on with your dog. Is she holding down water or is she vomiting that as well? Is it possible that she got into any medications or poisons outside? Is she lethargic? Is she on any medications? Can you look at her gums? They should be pink in color. When you touch them, they should blanche white and then turn back to pink within 2 seconds.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i don't think she could have gotten into anything. her gums are red. even under her skin in the mouth it is red. she is very lethargic. she is not holding anything down. she stays inside mostly but she was outside for about 30 minutes today. could it be snake bit or spider bite. maybe a fever.
You could take a rectal temperature. Normal temperatures in dogs are between 99-101 F. It is possible that she is having an allergic reaction. Usually snake and spider bites are more localized (do not see the entire animal turn red). Since she is unable to hold water down, I would take her to an emergency veterinarian tonight. A thorough examination and blood work may provide us with some answers and make her more comfortable. If you cannot take her to a clinic tonight, I would not offer her any food, keep her quiet, and monitor her breathing. If she starts having difficulty breathing, she needs immediate medical attention. Best of luck with her. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok thanks. i live in a town of 40,000. we don't have an emergency clinic. but i might open one now. i will just watch her. would cold rags or towel help. she feels hot.
I am sorry you don't have an emergency clinic nearby. That is so frustrating! I would take her temperature. If it is above 103, then I would put some rubbing alcohol on her paws (on the pads) to help cool her down. You could also place some cold towels on her. Keep an eye on her and give her access to water. I hope she feels better soon!