Dr. MD Stafford
Dr. MD Stafford, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years in private practice, Fish Health Certified and attending veterinarian Missouri State University.

I have two rabbits, both the same age, about 5 months old.

I have two rabbits, both the same age, about 5 months old. Every day I let them out of their kennels to clean the kennels. I have noticed that the male never pees and rarely poops outside his kennel. The female pees two or three times, and poops almost constantly during the time it takes me to clean her kennel, about twenty minutes, because I spend so much time picking up her pellets and wiping up her pee off the bathroom floor. The bathroom floor is light-colored tile, and I have noticed that her pee looks cloudy, or milky. Is this normal? The male's pee looks clear, and slightly yellow right after he pees in his kennel.
I feed them both the same things-rabbit pellets and grass and Monet(not sure of spelling) some kind of clover with yellow flowers that they both like to chew on.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. MD Stafford replied 6 years ago.
Rabbit urine is very basic and will cause some damage to tile and stainless steel. It is often very milky in color but can also be clear. Your diet is fine but add some fresh greens from time to time. They can also be litter box trained and should be, put a litter box in their kennel and they will soon start using it. You can use cat litter for the box.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Well, I am happy to hear that milky-colored urine is normal! What kind of greens do you mean? Lettuce? Iceberg lettuce has little nutritional value. Romaine lettuce, perhaps?

Or maybe kale?

A litter box? Great! The cat litter I use is called Fresh Step and it has deodorizing chemicals in it. It is great at absorbing odors! The chemicals will not harm the rabbits? They won't eat it, will they? They like to chew...

All lettuce is fine, even iceberg. It is more for a treat than for balancing the diet. Kale, timothy hay, alfalfa are all good.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay. Did you read my question about the cat litter? I use Fresh Step, and it works well at absorbing odors because of the chemicals. The rabbits like to chew! They will not eat the cat litter, will they?
No they won't eat the cat litter. Fresh step is fine, stay away from the cheaper litters and you will be fine.