Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.

my boxer just turned two on Tuesday. Today I noticed on his

Customer Question

my boxer just turned two on Tuesday. Today I noticed on his inner back leg, what looks like a skin tag (if he were a person) His inner leg is white with fawn markings. Is this something I need to take him to the vet this week for? I already lost one boxer at two to cancer, (a nephroblastoma) and I get really nervous whenever anything happens to this one, that I am constantly at the vet..
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I am Dr. Peter and would like to help. In response to your question, the best option is to have this skin tag evaluated by either fine needle aspirate or biopsy. In dogs when it comes to skin tumors there is about a 50% chance of being malignant. Boxers unfortunately are predisposed to many of the malignant type tumors. I do not want to scare you; most likely it is a benign skin tag, but, the only way to know exactly is evaluating the cells under the microscope.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If it is cancer, what types are usually found in this type of skin issue?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 years ago.
Mast cell tumors, melanoma, squamous cell carcinoma, hemangioma, etc.