YourPetVet
YourPetVet, Veterinarian
Experience:  6 years in general practice, surgery and emergency medicine
41322881

I have a female schnauzer 2 yrs of age. She had her first

I have a female schnauzer 2 yrs of age. She had her first litter on March 7, 2010. ( I do not know if this has anything to do with this situation or not) She had no symptons last night, but this morning she would not get off the bed. I went and got her up. She can not stand but for a few seconds. She is bleeding from her vagina but not alot of blood. She appears not to have a temperature but I think she is cold. She is alert. Obvious stomach discomfort but not sensitive to touch but she says it hurts. What do you think?

Thank you
Jann
Hello, I am suspicious that your dog may have a pyometra or uterine infection. She is a little young for this but did have a litter. Sometimes a little retained placenta can set the uterus off and let it get infected. The good news is that it sounds like it is an open pyometra which is the blood you are seeing from her vulva so she is not as sick as she could be.

In any case however, this is still an emergency situation and I recommend that you have her seen by an emergency veterinarian as soon as possible. This condition can not be treated with antibiotics as it is too large an area in the uterus. The best treatment is supportive care and having her spayed. Good Luck. Thanks for your question.

J Bache, DVM