FamilyPetDoctor, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery, including emergency medicine

my 9 yr old schnauzer developed diarehhea while in hot weather

Customer Question

my 9 yr old schnauzer developed diarehhea while in hot weather and has had it for 6 days now, wee have given her bland diet of boiled hamberger and rice 1 tablespoon and she still has diarehhrea. today she was shaking, she has had no abnormal food or water in the last week....and no blood in her stool should she see a vet
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  FamilyPetDoctor replied 6 years ago.

Since the bland diet hasn't helped it subside, I would at this point consider the possibility that there is a possible infection or other metabolic issue causing the diarrhea.

I would recommend a vet exam. Your vet will likely want to have a fresh fecal sample to test for parasites to begin with..... This may give you an answer right away. If nothing is found, your vet may either try some medications to help normalize the intestinal flora or recommend some bloodwork to make sure that there isn't an underlying issue like hepatitis, etc. I would highly recommend having the bloodwork done, especially since she is shaking today.

You dont' need to rush to the vet today, but I would get an appointment as soon as possible.

I hope that this answers your question! and helps you decide what to do!

Dr C

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

she only shook once, what makes it hard is that we are in another province and sent her home with a frd, so have been conversing with the frd, she only shook the once... i just spoke to her and the dog is going for a walk and barking and wagging, appears very happy, so not lethargic....can

hepatitis or parasite disappear on their own.....

Some parasites like Coccidia can subside on their own periodically, but then typically will recur.

I"m not nearly as concerned if in fact she is acting normally otherwise.... but persistent diarrhea is a reason for concern if it doesn't resolve with fasting or a bland diet. Some causes include things like inflammatory bowel disease ( IBD) or cancer of the gut. These can be diagnosed with ultrasound or sometimes bloodwork. But easy things like a parasite infection needs to be ruled out first.

You could try some yogurt for a few days.... sometimes this helps to change the flora. Vets also often have things called probiotics which can help similarly.

I hope that this helps!

Dr C