Experience:  dasdasd

I forgot to mention that my minature snauzer is anemic. Would

Customer Question

I forgot to mention that my minature snauzer is anemic. Would a blood transfusion help? What can I add to his diet that would improve his blood count?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 6 years ago.
Do you know how low his RBC count is? I usually start consider a transfusion in a dog whose hematocrit has fallen below 20%.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I do not know his RBC count. Thank you for your imput. Any food or that would boost his blood count?
Expert:  brisadog replied 6 years ago.

Not exactly - an iron supplement will give his body the building block he needs to make more RBCs, but there is no food or supplement that can stimulate red blood cell production. A medication called erythropoietin can stimulate RBC increase - this is an injection that would be given at your vet. It has to be given three times a week initially and then can be modified after that. It usually takes about a month to see the results we want, so at this point I would wait to start it with your boy until you decide if we are going to pursue further treatment/diagnostics with him.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. If you are satisfied with my answer, please click on the green Accept button. Positive feedback is always appreciated. Thanks!