Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

I am looking for a veterinary colonoscopist who can perform

Customer Question

I am looking for a veterinary colonoscopist who can perform endoscopic polpectomy in the Philadelphia area.
My Lab retriever has a pedunculated polypoid tumor or polyp in the rectum Biopied One year ago and diagnosed as carcinoma. In the year since it has not grown but still causes tenesmus and hematochezia.
I am a retired gastroenterologist. Performed many colonoscopies and polypectomies. This seems to me that endoscopic removal of this lesion is the way to go.
Dr. Jonathan H. Back at the veterinary teaching hospital, University of Wisconsin has published successful endoscopic polypectomy results in J.American Animal Hospital Assoc. 46:168-173 92010). Would appreciate help in locating endoscopist in Phila area
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Andy :

Hello. Well, the specialization does not go quite that far in veterinary medicine. What you are looking for is a veterinary internist who is properly equipped and experienced to deal with the problem.

Dr. Andy :

You can use this link to locate the internist that are closest to where you live. It will simply be a matter of taking some time to screen through the internist to see who's experience, communcation, etc...is suitable for you.

Dr. Andy :

Find Various Specialists

--> Under "specialty" select SAIM = Small Animal Internal Medicine

--> Or, you can search for a Neurologist, Cardiologist or Oncologist

.

Dr. Andy :

There is no doubt that if you wanted to drive to a veterinary school's teaching hospital, they would be more that capable of handling this situation, but that is not entirely necessary.

Dr. Andy :

That link is my best suggestion. Unlike human medicine, you do not even need a direct referral from your vet. Feel free to call anyone on that link. When necessary, the internist will simply contact your primary vet for whatever info they need.

Dr. Andy :

That's about the most I can help from ehre.

Dr. Andy :

here.

Dr. Andy :

Customer:

Would appreciate any more specific info that you might be able to give

Dr. Andy :

Personally, if previously biopsied as a cancerous growth, the likelihood of a complete excision this way is unlikely.

Dr. Andy :

Depending upon where it is located in the colon, a "pull-through" approach or abdominal approach to ensure complete excision is recommened.

Customer:

Suspect microscopic diagnosis is in error since the poly has not changed in one year

Dr. Andy :

Okay...here's a little website to also review.

Dr. Andy :

Not much else I can comment on from here.

Dr. Andy :

I hope what I have provided has been helpful.

Dr. Andy :

Please remember to click "ACCEPT", so JustAnswer recognizes me for addressing the question. It is greatly appreciated.

Thanks. XXXXX

Customer:

Not really

Dr. Andy :

The link...

Dr. Andy :

Website that will enable you to contact just about any local internist?

Dr. Andy :

Wow...very surprised from one professional to another. I have no idea what answer would have been satisfactory. For me to randomly pick one internist in your area would have been a bad answer. Giving you the ability search for internists and screen them yourself, I thought was an excellent.
I'm done.