Dr. Kris
Dr. Kris, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal vet and I see mostly dogs and cats and an occasional exotic pet, pig and goat.

What can I do for the lick sores my dachsey has

What can I do for the lick sores my dachsey has?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kris replied 3 years ago.
Hi

I'm Dr. Kris.

Where are the sores?
Does he scratch or lick them?
How long has he had them?
What do they look like?
Do they just appear or are they there because he constantly licks the area?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He nibbles and licks, mostly his hindquarters and legs.
Expert:  Dr. Kris replied 3 years ago.
Thanks.

It sounds like he has dermatitis. This can be caused by fungus, bacteria, allergies or mange. You should get him to a vet and have a skin scraping done to look for mange, a skin cytology done to look for yeast or bacteria and a DTM culture done for ringworm. He's going to need some oral antibitoics and possibly something like oral ketoconazole for yeast.

If you can't get him to the vet just yet you can try bathing him with a medicated shampoo that has 1% ketoconazole and 2% chlorhexidine as active ingredients. Malasseb (only has 1 ingredient) and Ketochlor (better choice since it has both ingredients) are good ones to try. You can get them from your vet or you can order them online. Follow the instructions on the bottle and see if it helps. Please keep in mind that this shampoo is only effective against bacteria and yeast and will do nothing to treat mange or ringworm. You can give him some benadryl (diphenhydramine) at a dosage of 1 mg per pound body weight twice daily for no more than 1 week.

You can also add skin and coat supplements (available at pet stores and online) to his food or feed him a food that promotes skin and coat health.

For the sores, you'll need to shave the hair around them and you can clean them with some hydrogen peroxide and apply neosporin twice a day. Get an e-collar from a pet store to keep him from licking or biting his skin. If his condition gets any worse he'll need to see a vet.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need to know more.
Dr. Kris, Veterinarian
Experience: I am a small animal vet and I see mostly dogs and cats and an occasional exotic pet, pig and goat.