Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS, Qualified veterinarian of ten years in small animal practice in England
40862463

I Just bought a baby rabbit from a Local family a few weeks

Customer Question

I Just bought a baby rabbit from a Local family a few weeks ago. she's about 9weeks old and was perfectly fine. she likes to hop around the house, but we watch her intently so she doesn't get into anything that could harm her. we're keeping her inside because of the heat in a small pet carrier with wood chips. she's being doing perfectly fine and always perky. i took a shower and returned to her laying in her cage very limp and breathing lightly. she's not responding to much, like she's not blinking and has a very distant look to her eyes. she's not dehydrated and always has food. whats wrong with her? what can i do?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Rosie_MRCVS replied 6 years ago.
Hi I'm Rosie one of the vets. Unfortunately there isn't really much you can do at home in this situation - keeping her calm and stress-free, feeding her and using the dropper for water as you are doing is about all you can do. Rabbits can go downhill incredibly quickly, so I think the best thing you can do for her is to get her to an ER vets asap. Possible causes of the signs you are seeing is trauma - they are very prone to trauma of their spines which affects the back legs, or an infection. Rabbits of this age are prone to gut infections, and gut stasis, as they adapt to their new homes. I wish that there was something more you can do for her at home, but I'm afraid that this is one of those situations where there just isn't. An ER vets would be your best bet. I hope this helps - any questions just hit 'reply'. Good luck, Rosie.