YourPetVet2, Veterinarian
Experience:  5 years experience as a veterinarian in general and emergency medicine and surgery

is the product poop-off dangerous/toxic to pet birds

Customer Question

is the product "poop-off" dangerous/toxic to pet birds ? poop-off contains a chemical
called formaldhyde.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  YourPetVet2 replied 6 years ago.
Yes, formaldehyde is definitely toxic to birds. If becomes a vapor in the air very quickly. It can be irritant to us as well, although birds are much more sensitive than people and it can cause eye and throat irritation as well as respiratory damage and damage to blood cells. Ultimately these problems can lead to death.

I don't know much about the poop-off product aside from just googling it. It is confusing that they call it non toxic if there is formaldehyde in it. I had trouble finding the product's ingredients online. Formaldehyde is what is known as a VOC - "volatile organic compound" so it is "natural" but many natural things are still harmful. I would recommend avoiding any products containing any form of formaldehyde and continue being cautious of any other products you use around your birds.
<pP Hope this info is helpful! -Dr. P

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
this is arlene tanner i ask a ? about poop-off. i made a mistake. it is safe. the ingredients are non toxin. the product i meant to ask about was "petgo super cage wipes". it contains formaldehyde inaqueous base. thank you for warning me about using anything that has formaldehyde in it. the company who makes these wipes is,aquarium products
Thanks for the info! It is always good practice to read labels carefully when it comes to birds... glad to hear you were!! The MSDS safety sheet from the link you gave actually says the ingredients in the wipes may cause respiratory damage. Have a good evening!