Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of small animal veterinary medicine

The chin and cheeks of my persian cat started being wet all

Customer Question

The chin and cheeks of my Persian cat started being wet all the time a few days ago. She is 2 years old, drinks from a bowl, is in a lion cut and normally keeps herself very dry and clean. Since a few days her face has been constantly wet, and the hair started getting discolored. I dry her off several times per day with a fluffy towel and sometimes also with a hair dryer, but the situation has only progressed. Since yesterday the hair on her front paws are also constantly affected (from grooming I assume). I gave her a bath today and as I was rubbing the browning discoloration off the roots of the hair most of it came off in my hand. Her entire cheeks and patches down her necks on either side of her face are now hairless. The skin in her face is very red and is oozing, it looks very much like some kind of inflammation of the skin. She is not very itchy, but is tender to the touch on the red areas. If it was a dog i would say hot-spot, but what IS this in a cat?
Other important information:
She is cultured negative for ringworm only a few months back and doesn't light up under a woods lamp (tested today).
She has spent the past 2 months in the country with me and often stroll around outdoors. In this time I have removed several ticks from her. Possible cause?
Here in our country house she gets her food and water in plastic bowls. Contact allergy?

I will (of course) take her to a vet but will not be able to get off the island to do so until tomorrow. Can I do something to help her in the meanwhile?

Oh, she also has kittens - 5 1/2 weeks old - and is still lactating although the kittens are beginning to switch to solids by now.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. Absolutely getting her examined by your vet is going to be key here. From your description, I would be most suspicious of a very severe case of feline acne. This can cause a very infected, moist appearing area with hair loss on the jaw and neck area. Could she have an abscess from something that possibly bit her in this area too? Being able to first hand see the lesion is key here. If you can take a picture and post it that would help!
As far as what can you do until that exam. I would clean the area twice daily with a warm wash rag and mild hand soap. Then dry it well. Make sure she's not scratching it with her rear legs.
I have a feeling that oral antibiotics is going to be key to help resolve this. I would absolutely switch the food and water bowls to stainless steel. This eliminates a contact irritation / allergy.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dear Dr. Bruce. Thank you so miuch for your answer!

I took a few pictures that didn't turn out as clear as I would have wanted (only have my iPhone to take pictures with here).

So, instead I took a video of her (Sassy) and her friend (Callie). They are of an age, but not related. Since less than 24 hours Callie is beginning to exhibit the same symptoms and I find it really worrying. I included her in the video to show what it looked like in earlier stages. Again, this is very fast progressing, only yesterday Callie was 100% ok. Less than a week ago, so was Sassy. I speak and explain in this video so turning the sound on may be helpful :)

I do have my "animal pharmacy" with me out on the island. It includes several different types of antibiotics, including Ampivet(Ampicillin) that was prescribed for a skin infection. I also have Baytril and Synolux (clavamox) and various other resources that I just have on had for emergency use - as I had a litter of kittens born on the island and sometimes time is of the essence. but I'm not your typical self medicating animal owner so I haven't reached for them yet, also, if this is some kind of fungus antibiotics would be contraindicated, so...

I will send this before I click "accept answer" because I have never used this site before and I don't know if the extended explanation will be allowed to be sent once I have accepted. However, I certainly will accept. :)

Link to the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBzUvzt_iR4

Again, thank you.
regards,
emma
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
AWESOME!!!! You truly came up with a very good video that showed the lesions very well! This was 95% close to an in person exam!!! I would say that both of them have what I'd say is a bacterial infection / irritation on their skin. Could the food / water bowls be the source of it? Definitely get rid of the current food and water bowls. Go to stainless steel! The staining of the fur on the paw is because they are laying their heads / chins on the paw and it is getting onto that area.
I would clean both of these areas with a mild hand soap and dry it very well after that. I would love to clip the hair in these areas to allow it to dry out better. Clippers would be needed for this.
The clavamox is a very, very effective choice for topical skin infections. I would start both of them on that twice a day until you can get them seen.
Again, the video absolutely helped me out!!!!!! Thank you so much for it.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience: 13 years of small animal veterinary medicine
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Aha, clicking the link in the email allowed me to write more! happy, happy, joy joy :)

I'm sorry for taking up your time, but I really felt I needed to ask 2 follow-up questions.

1) Both these girls came to me with ringworm. They were treated topically (shaved - I have an oester and 2 separate 10 blades that gets disinfected between use - and lyme dip) and orally (itrafungol = itrakonazol), and cleaned up nicely. I did several home cultures that turned out negative and ended with a culture at a lab, more than a month after ending oral and topical treatment, cultured for 14 days, that came back negative. After that Sassy has had kittens, as mentioned. The kittens are now 5 1/2 weeks old with absolutely no sign of lesions - but after the cost and effort involved in fighting the RW I naturally get a bit paranoid when I see hair loss =) The strain these girls had was one that fluoresced - that is also why I own a woods lamp in the first place. Is there ANY reason to believe that what you see in that video might be a re-occurrence of the RW, despite no sign under the lamp? What makes me suspicious is the ease with which the hair comes out of the affected areas, the completely bald patch in the middle and the fact that there seems to be no itchiness at all. Eg: Does fungal dermatitis show up like this?

2) As mentioned, this is fast progressing. Sassy is beginning to loose her milk and the kittens are getting skinny (its fast when you are growing as quickly as kittens of this age does). Is there any reason to try to treat them despite them being asymptomatic? Perhaps speed their weaning process up by offering KMR and not just solids?

I have a very good relationship with my vet (who is specialized in cats and indeed is, or soon will be, a dermatologist) and have been working with her with pictures, videos and stories for a thesis she did while we were treating these girls while keeping my other 3 Persians from catching it. It CAN be done, its just a question of effort :)

Again, I really appreciate your answers, and of course your time :)
Regards,
Emma
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Sorry for my delay. I stepped away from the computer to spend some time with my family. I would honestly not be in the least suspicious of RW with those lesions. Moist, irritated wounds like that scream a bacterial component and not a fungal origin. Unless it is something like cryptoccus. But, that shouldn't be the case!

The hair is comming out so easily because the hair follicles have the infection down into them as well as on the skin. That effects their ability to hold in place and slight tension will cause them to epilate.

I wouldn't treat the kittens at this point as there is no reason too unless they start to have similar looking lesions. I would definitely speed up the weaning process. I would start to let them have access to solids - at 5 1/2 weeks, many are eating them.

Can you let me know what your vet ends up finding and how they do? I'm always wanting to know the final results.

Again, thanks for the phenomenal video! I wish all clients here on Just Answer could provide such great clips!

Don't worry about more questions!!! Fire away all you have!