Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

I have 8 month old male golden retriever and hes had another

Customer Question

I have 8 month old male golden retriever and he's had another occurrence of ear yeast infection and my vet said I could give him benadryl 25mgs and give him 2 at a time so he doesn't tear his ears up cause he freaks out with the e collar and won't wear it at all so he weighs 69 lbs and my question is how often during the day can he get the benadryl and is 50mgs right for his weight and age ?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Brian M. replied 6 years ago.
Good morning I am Dr. Brian. Benadryl is very safe in dogs and the normal dose is 1mg per pound of body weight, so your dog could receive 69mg two to three times daily. The typical benadryl capsule or pill is 25mg so you very safely give your dog 2 to 3 capsules two or three times daily. You may see a slight sedative effect with this drug just like in people. If your dog has had multiple episodes of yeast otitis you need to determine if it is recurring infections or an infection that has simply never been properly resolved to begin with. Have you been cleaning the ears and applying an anti fungal/steroidal ointment into the ears? Have the ear canals been examined by your vet for narrowing of the canals or growths in the ears? Food allergy can be a common cause of recurring yeast otitis and a hypoallergenic food trial may be in order.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Everyday I'm using twice a day TrizUltra 4 oz w/Baytril/Dex-just how much heavier will he get and at what age does this stop ? He's my first golden and to me he looks alittle under weight but maybe I'm wrong. Is it safe to give him pet tabs being a large breed puppy?
Pet tabs are fine to give but if you are feeding a high quality dog food they are not necessary. Usually a Golden has just about reached full size at 8 months. Your ear meds sound fine, just make sure you are cleaning the ears to remove any exudate prior to applying the medicine so it will be able to work optimally. 69 pounds would be pretty average for an 8 month old Golden. Again the main emphasis should be on trying to find the underlying reason for repeated yeast otitis. Good luck with your doggy.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm getting ready to give him 2 of the 25 mgs of benadryl now at 300 pm. So is it too much to give him his last dose at 7 or 8 pm or is that too soon?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I need an answer as soon as you can?
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Brian is off-line, so I'll jump in here.
I think it is fine to give your dog another 50 mg of Benadryl. Even if you really gave the last dose at 7 or 8 am, it is fine to go ahead and give. Benadryl is a very safe drug and rarely causes any problems. I don't think it is all that effective, especially when a dog is really itchy, but it is ok in a pinch.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He hasn't had any today yet but I was waiting to hear back at 3pm so I'm gonna go ahead at 430 pm and give 2 so what time after this is safe for tonight for another round.
You can give 2 more around 8 hours from now (midnight), or right before you go to bed. Getting the dose a bit early shouldn't make a bit of difference.