DrJessicaO
DrJessicaO, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of private practice & oncology experience with dogs, cats, exotics, pocket pets, etc
41353408

I live in Bradenton, Fl (one hour south of Tampa). I was a

I live in Bradenton, Fl (one hour south of Tampa). I was a RN before becoming a mother, and now I am looking to get back in the medical career field, but only with animals. Desperately trying to find a vet tech program near me, and all I can find is online programs. Do you have any suggestions of where to go or who to call for more info.? Thanks for you help in advance. Cindy C. XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  DrJessicaO replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,
It is so fantastic that you are considering a career as a veterinary technician! Have you looked at the Florida Veterinary Technician Association's website at http://thefvta.net/? Also, www.navta.net is the website of the National Association of Veterinary Technicians.It may be worth e-mailing either organization to determine what programs are closest to you. Unfortunately there are a lot more people interested in the field than there are programs (and that goes for veterinary schools as well) which means it is possible you would have to travel for classes. There is a school in Pinellas Park near St Petersburg (www.spcollege.edu) but I don't know how close that is to you. Most programs are 2-4 years and I think you will find it would be worth pursuing even if the closest school is several miles away. I would also recommend getting your foot in the door as a veterinary assistant or even volunteer at a local vet clinic to ensure this is the right field for you. Many clinics have openings on Saturdays and Sundays so even if it is just one day a week it would allow you to gain experience.
Hope this helps and good luck to you !!
DrJessicaO, Veterinarian
Experience: 7 years of private practice & oncology experience with dogs, cats, exotics, pocket pets, etc