Dr. Steven Osborne
Dr. Steven Osborne, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of Veterinary Medicine expertise with experience in canine and feline medicine and surgery

my dog has been diagnosed with parvo

my dog has been diagnosed with parvo hes at the vets now i know it sounds mean but i am worried abt the costs i am a single mum can i treat him at home or am i at least better to keep him at the ets for at least a couple of days i want him to survive so i want whats best.also i am worried abt my other dog now she seems ok but she has been around it pease help im scared my dogs are our world
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Steven Osborne replied 6 years ago.

Hi I'm Dr. Steve. I think you realize that the best thing to do is to keep your dog at the vet's until he's is completely better. The risks involved with trying to treat him at home is that you won't be able to keep him as hydrated as he will be at the vet's where he can be getting IV or SQ fluids. The other large risk is that he may transmit Parvo to your other dog and then you would have twice the expense that you have now. Parvo is highly contagious and dogs are usually kept in isolation while at he vet's office to prevent the spread in the hospital. This can certainly happen at home. Even if you kept the two dogs in separate rooms, you can carry parvo on your body, clothes, and anything that comes in contact with the infected dog. It would be very difficult to keep your other dog from getting parvo if you bring your first dog home. I wish I had better information fo r you, but that is the facts and the nature of the disease. Keep watching your other dog and the longer she is acting normally the less likely she will get parvo. Hopefully you have taken your first dog to the vet and removed him form the house before your other dog was infected. Discuss the financial situation with your vet so they are aware of what is going on in your life. Sometimes knowing that there are financial constraints can help them treat your dog while trying to keep costs under control. Good Luck

Please click the accept button if this has helped. Thanks