Dr. Steven Osborne
Dr. Steven Osborne, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of Veterinary Medicine expertise with experience in canine and feline medicine and surgery
31531426

I have a 6 week old kitten who is the runt of the litter.

I have a 6 week old kitten who is the "runt" of the litter. His brothers and sisters are growing as expected, eating small amounts of wet and dry food but, the little one doesn't eat anything-only nurses on Mom-I have tried to feed him separately, have mixed water with wet food, even putting it on my finger and he won't touch it-any suggestions? I am very concerned about him-
Thank you
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Steven Osborne replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Steve. Some kittens, especially the runts don't have the aggressiveness to survive as well as the rest of the litter, that's why they are runts. there are a couple of things you can do. One would be feed him a milk replacer supplement (KMR Kitten Milk Replacer is a good one) along with letting him nurse. He will become interested in regular food eventually and in the meantime the extra milk replacer will help him get bigger sooner. You may try putting it in a bowl and seeing if he will drink it or you may have to bottle feed him. Keep offering him regular food and try canned food first. Try different flavors of moist kitten food. Another option is, if the other kittens are eating well enough, you could wean them and leave the runt on the mother until he gets bigger and again keep regular food in front of him. He will eventually eat kitten food, but these things will ensure he continues to get his nutrition and keep him growing. Good Luck'

Please click the accept button if this has helped. Thanks

Dr. Steven Osborne, Veterinarian
Experience: 20 years of Veterinary Medicine expertise with experience in canine and feline medicine and surgery