Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS, Qualified veterinarian of eight years in small animal practice in England
40862463

I have a pet rabbit that is primarily an outdoor rabbit

Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Rosie_MRCVS replied 4 years ago.
Hi I'm Rosie one of the vets and I'd like to help you. It looks like your question didn't make it through - what would you like to know about your rabbit? Thanks, Rosie.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Rosie,

My rabbit is primarily an outdoor rabbit & as we live in GA, it gets pretty hot during the day...I've been bringing him inside to let him run & he stays inside for a least 2 or 3 hrs...Last night when I went to check on him I noticed that he had a touch of diarrhea & was just curious if it was connected to him being brought in & out with the change of temperature

Thanks
Kris
Hello, and thanks for getting back to me. I don't think it is related to the change of temperature - this is usually a sign of diet change. When he is inside you need to make sure that he still has access to his hay and roughage, as rabbits need constant access to this. Rabbits guts are very sensitive, so an ideal diet would be ad-lib hay and roughage, a moderate amount of dark leafy green vegetables (except spinach - this gives them bladder stones), and a small amount of pellets. He would need about an eggcup full a day, if that. I recommend pellets over the multi-coloured feeds, because rabbits are selective feeders. So for example, if he ate everything except the green pellets and the green pellets contained the calcium then he would end up in trouble. Rabbits can go downhill quite quickly, so if the diarrhoea continues I would take both him and a faecal sample (about 5g if you can manage it) to your vets to have him checked out. They could send the sample to the lab to check for infection. I hope this helps - any questions just hit 'reply' again. Rosie.
Rosie_MRCVS, Veterinarian
Experience: BVetMed MRCVS, Qualified veterinarian of eight years in small animal practice in England