Dr. Brian M.
Dr. Brian M., Veterinarian
Experience:  17 years of veterinary experience in companion animal and exotic medicine and surgery

My cat had been missing for almost a month. Someone finally

Customer Question

My cat had been missing for almost a month. Someone finally brought her home today. We have her secluded in a seperate bedroom than our other cat. We are wondering if we should be careful with how much we feed here the first couple of days and what things we should look out for with her being outside for a month (fleas, an illness, etc). There is noticable hairloss on her nose and around her eyes. We will hopefully get her to a vet on monday, but can't do anything with tomorrow being sunday and we don't think its considered an emergency. She is up to date on her rabies and FVRR-CP shots. Please let us know. Thank you
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Brian M. replied 6 years ago.
Hi XXXXX I am so glad to hear your cat has been returned to you. Things I would recommend include keeping her isolated from your other cats until she has been seen by your vet on Mon. Feed her small amounts of her regular food every 3 to 4 hours to make sure she doesn't over eat or vomit. Look her over very carefully for any signs of puncture wounds, swelling, scratches or hair loss. The hair loss around her eyes and on her nose could be just abrasions or possibly from ringworm (dermatophytosis), or mites. Ringworm can be very contagious to other pets and people so wash thoroughly after handling her. Your vet may want to do a fungal culture to investigate further as well as a skin scrape to look for mites. I would take a fine tooth comb and comb her to look for fleas or what looks like "pepper". If you see live fleas you will know she is infested. If you see the pepper like dots get them wet and rub them on white paper towel to see if they look like rust streaks (this would indicated flea poop, (which is simply dried blood). Your vet may also want to test her for feline leukemia or feline immunodeficiency virus (another reason to keep her isolated from your other cats for now). Again very happy to hear she has been returned. Always so scary when a pet is missing.
Thanks for the prompt payment. Also wanted to mention bringing a fecal sample (poop) with you to your vet visit so they can check for internal parasites like worms, giardia and coccidia. Good luck.