YourPetVet
YourPetVet, Veterinarian
Experience:  6 years in general practice, surgery and emergency medicine
41322881

My 4year old yellow tabby Leon Is outdoors a lot and has

My 4year old yellow tabby "Leon" Is outdoors a lot and has been chewed on the nose area and the ears by mosquitoes. Right now his nose is swollen and has many open sores where I assume he has been scratching them. What can I put on them to help healing and relieve the (what I assume is) itchy. Second question, We have two other cats ,same situation and they don't suffer from this. What could we do to keep the bugs off? Aside from putting deet on him. Any Ideas?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  YourPetVet replied 6 years ago.

Hello, First the treatment: You can put hydrocortisone cream on the wounds and nose for the itching. Also you can give Benadryl (diphenhydramine) the dose in milligrams is the same as the weight of the cat. So 8mgs for 8lbs. The childrens Benadryl liquid is 12.5mg for every teaspoon.

I would be cautious about putting Deet on the cats as this is toxic to them as well. You may want to try a flea preventative like Frontline plus, Comfortis, or Advantage from your vet as a mosquito repellent. Talk to your vet about availability. Thanks for your question

J Bache, DVM