Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience in small animal medicine/surgery

Why do dogs get cysts My dog gets small cysts which I watch

Why do dogs get cysts? My dog gets small cysts which I watch and can usually sqeeze out the material, much like a pimple. Last year I had my vet surgically remove two of them as they became larger. One on her breast (proved non cancerous) and one on her back. She is a ten year old German Shepherd (not fixed). She has been bothered by cysts her whole life. I am lucky as they itch her a little, but she does not chew them. I feed her my own formula, so I know her food is the best she can get. Otherwise she is in excellent health. No one belives she is ten years old, as she acts and moves like a puppy.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 years ago.

Dogs get cysts for no specific reason. Sometimes it is breed related (schnauzers, wheatons), but generally there is no known cause. I have had some success decreasing the occurence of the cysts by changing the diet to a lower fat, more easily digestible diet. If she is doing well on her diet now, then I would be a little reluctant to recommend changing it just because of these benign growths. Other issues can come up with diet changes that may be more of a concern.

Another option that may help is to add Vitamin E and 0mega-3 (fish oil) to her diet. This is easily accomplished with a daily supplement. It may help. There has been some evidence in the literature to support this.

Otherwise, you can just keep monitoring and removing as necessary (if the cyst gives her trouble).

Good luck and I hope this helps.