My 20 lb, 9 month old Scottish Terrier somehow found a peach pit outside (where we had workmen today) and was chewing on it. She did not eat much of the outer part of the pit. The inner part is missing, but I don't know if she actually ingested it, or if it is somewhere outside. What should I do?
Type of Animal: Scottish Terrier puppy
Age: 9 months
Nothing. It just happened.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer. I'm sorry to hear about this situation. So she ate the pit itself possibly? Or you have found the pit?
She had just been outside, and after she came back inside, she was playing with something. When I investigated, I found it was half of a peach pit, and the other half was nearby. She had not chewed of more than a tiny bit of the outer pit, but I don't know what happened to the inner kernel.
Ok. Most likely the inner kernel had fallen out when the pit was split. The inner kernel is where a precursor for the poison cyanide is at. This may be why you are worried about this situation. But, the amount of precursor that is there is extremely small. If she had eaten this, given her size, I wouldn't be worried about a toxicity. In all reality, these peach pits cause the most problem when the pit as a whole is eaten and it actually forms a foreign body that blocks them up. I wouldn't worry about the kernel as long as both halves are located.
12 years of small animal veterinary medicine