Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice

My cat suddenly doesnt want to go outside. He has always

My cat suddenly doesn't want to go outside. He has always been a real outdoor cat and now sleeps inside all day. For the past week if he has ventured outside he has run straight back in. Out of the blue he went out for a couple of hours yesterday evening and bounced back in quite happily, but now we are back to square one. He usually loves warm weather. If he has been frightened by something, what could I do. I've tried leaving doors open and venturing outside myself to see if he'll follow - to no avail.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 6 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
Cats live in a very different world from you and me since they hear, see and smell things of which we are not aware. It could be that he's dealing with a big tom cat in the neighborhood that you've never seen, or even owls and hawks can be responsible for frightening them and changing their behavior. Something is definitely different in his outdoor environment and he's avoiding it by staying mostly indoors.
You really don't want to give him anything that would lessen his natural wariness, as he could get into real danger if there is something threatening that he has sensed. As long as he is eating, drinking and in all ways acting normally, don't worry about it, and let him come and go as he pleases.
A 5 year old cat is a pretty smart cookie and knows when to lie low for a while!
If you should have further questions, please let me know.