Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Veterinarian
Experience:  12 year of veterinary experience in surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

Hi, My 3 year old pitbull is bleeding from her vagina. She

Hi, My 3 year old pitbull is bleeding from her vagina. She was spayed over 1 year ago. She is laying down and shaking. I have given her 1 Advil liquigel (in case she has a fever). Could this be a urinary tract infection? Do I need to rush her to emergency or can it wait until monday?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 6 years ago.

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer. A few questions will help me get a clearer picture of the situation:

• Are her gums an normal pink color?
  • How long has she had this problem?
  • Is she having trouble urinating or seem painful doing it?
  • Is she eating and drinking?
  • How much does she weigh?
  • What mg is the advil and how long ago was it given?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Her gums ar a normal pink color.

We just noticed this problem today (the bleeding), however, I have noticed her licking herself more than usual for the past week.

I am not sure if she is having trouble urinating. I put her out on her chain in the yard. I will pay more attention now of course.

She is eating a drinking normally.

She weighs 50 lbs.

The Advil I gave her was 200mg, and I gave it only about 15 minutes ago.

Thankyou.

Thank you for the information. Advil has a high potential for stomach ulcers and kidney damage in dogs so it should never be used for them. Luckily it sounds like the dose you gave it small enough to not cause any problems but it is a good idea to make her vomit with 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide by mouth. It can be repeated in 10 minutes if necessary. The most likely cause for the blood is a urinary tract infection or possibly an infection of the uterine stump which is left behind after a spay. In rare cases an infection develops in the stump and drains. Since is she acting a little sick I do think its best to have her seen now rather than trying to wait until Monday. There is potential that she could get very sick by then. If you have more questions please let me know.