Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

kittens: died very young, one after having repeated seizures..feral

When my cat had kittens last year they all died very young, one after having repeated seizures. I fear that the cat (who is too feral to catch and take to the vet) may be a carrier for feline leukemia or some other disease. She's just had kittens again. Is there anything I can do to save these kittens from an early death?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 years ago.
Hi there.

Most likely this stray cat is harboring some disease such as Feline leukemia that is causing this early death in the kittens. If this is the case, the disease is spread through the uterus and there is no way to save the kittens.

there is also a possibility that the kittens in the last litter had a hereditary defect that caused these seizures such as a brain defect. This may have come from 2 recessive genes from the mother and father. If the male was different, there is a chance that these kittens will not get this recessive gene and do fine.

I know you really want to help and feel helpless for these poor little things. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do but wait and see what happens.

Good Luck!!