Dr. Jen
Dr. Jen, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years experience as a small animal veterinarian
38314771

My chinchilla has lost a big spot of fur on his side. Is there

My chinchilla has lost a big spot of fur on his side. Is there anything I need to be concernedd about. It doesn't look like he scratched it out, it looks like it was just puuled out. What should I do?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jen replied 6 years ago.
Hi I'm Dr. Jen
Chinchillas are susceptible to a condition called "Fur Slip". It usually happens when they are handled and wiggle away. The hair just slips out and normal bald skin is revealed. Of course I can't diagnose him over the internet but what you are describing could be fur slip. Fur slip is not a serious condition.
Thanks,
Dr. Jen
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
When you say fur slip...is it something you notice right away or not be noticed till the next day. He is held on a regular basis by my daughter who is 13. Would she notice this clump of hair in her hands.
Expert:  Dr. Jen replied 6 years ago.
I have had owners bring me chinchillas with what I diagnosed as fur slip and they didn't notice anything when they were handling it, so it is possible to do it and not realize it. They are extremely sensitive to this and it doesn't take much to do it.
If you see any redness, scaling, rash develop, or if he's chewing I'd take him to the vet for an exam.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you very much Dr. Jen. Just one last thing how long does it usually take for his fur to grow back?
Expert:  Dr. Jen replied 6 years ago.
It takes a while to grow back, usually several weeks. It will grow back, though. Good luck!