Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

My cat has a fat lip. Ive taken him to the vet 2 times and

My cat has a fat lip. I've taken him to the vet 2 times and they say that he is probably allergic to something, but they don't have a treatment for him. We tried eliminating things, but it keeps coming back. We have not identified what is making him have a fat lip. Is there any medication that we can give him?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 6 years ago.
Good evening,

Just a couple of questions..

Is it the lower or the upper lip that's affected?
Is it the very tip or side of the lip?
Does the condition go away completely after treatment?
What food is he eating now?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your help!

It's the lower lip that is affected. It's the tip of the lip. When we visited the vet she open up his mouth and noticed tiny bumps that she said was condusive to allergies.

She recommended a Science Diet dry food, but Mozart, our cat, wouldn't touch it. After that visit, it just went away. We removed things we though may be the cause like our pastic water fountain, but now it's back.

After the first treatment it went away, but returned again. The second time it went away on its own and now he has it again and it's not going away. I believe he got a steriod shot the first time, but he may have a heart murmur so that's not an option now. He has had the fat lip for over a month. It does not seem to bother or hurt him, but he looks a little silly.

Currently he is eating Fancy Feast wet food, which has been consistent since we adopted him at 5 months old and Iams Indoor Healthy Weight dry food. He's not fat, but his brother Jingles is.

I know its hard to give a diagnosis without seeing our cat, but I would appreciate any input. Our vet said there wasn't much we could do about it.

Thank you!

Rachel

Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the info, it helps a lot.

I think your cat has eosinophilic granuloma complex. This is a condition that is caused by a specific type of inflammation (that's why steroid helps) and can be caused by allergies (airborne, food, fleas, etc). There is a lot you can do for this, treatment-wise, but goal is control, cure is not possible in most cases. To confirm this, a small biopsy of the fat lip is needed.

See this link: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=656

It gives a concise explanation of what eosinophilic granuloma complex is and how it's treated.

One important component is strict flea control, using a product like Revolution, even if you see no fleas, even if he never goes outside.

Another issue to consider is that none of the diets you've tried is a true hypoallergenic diet; you would have to do a 3 month course of a "prescription" diet, such as Royal Canin Venison and Green Pea or Royal Canin Rabbit and Green Pea diets...

Don't despair, this can be fixed; if your vet isn't able to help, ask for a referral to a veterinary dermatologist; you can find one near you here:
https://www.acvd.org/

Hope this helps; please let me know if you have any other questions.