Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal veterinary medicine

my cocker spaniel does not want to eat. we were checkinkg his

Customer Question

my cocker spaniel does not want to eat. we were checkinkg his mouth and teeth seem good but when we tried to open his jaw he yelped. he wont even eat a piece of pepperoni, but we know he wants to. he also has a temp of 102.8
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 years ago.
How old is this little one? How long has he not been wanting to eat?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
he is probably 6-7yrs. we just noticed the not wanting to eat part-we have 5 others and food is always out. i did notice yesterday that he was shaking a little- but he has always been timid. any help?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 years ago.
If he's painful when you open his mouth, here are the things that I'm placing on my list of rule outs.1) Trauma to the jaw area. A bite or puncture that gets infected can cause a lot of discomfort in opening the mouth.2) Masticory myositis. This is an immune issue where the body attacks the mussels that are responsible for chewing. Here is a good link on it.
3) Dental issues. Even though you couldn't see any issues with the teeth. Sometimes the painful area / lesion is on the inside of the teeth where very difficult to view or with the roots themselves.
I would try to keep him quiet until you can have him evaluated by your vet. I would moisten / soften his food to try and make it easier for him to eat. You could offer a small amount of baby food (gerber turkey or chicken is a very good one).