Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Veterinarian
Experience:  12 year of veterinary experience in surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

dog swallowed bone whole

dog swallowed bone whole
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 4 years ago.

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer. A few questions will help me get a clearer picture of the situation:

• How long ago did it happen?
  • Was the bone cooked or raw?
  • What type of bone was it and how big?
  • How much does your dog weigh?
  • Is your dog showing any problems right now?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it happened 2 hours ago

bone was cooked

it was a t bone steak bone - it was approx. 5 inches long and 1/2 inch thick

my dog is a lab and she probably weighs 60 lbs

she is not presenting any problems, she has hacked a few times - but thats all

Thanks!

You are welcome. Cooked bones are harder to digest than a raw bone. Luckily she is a larger dog and that makes it more likely that the bone will pass. Unfortunately, there is a chance that this could cause an intestinal blockage. Making her vomit is a bad idea since it can cause severe damage to the esophagus so at this point the best option is to hope that it passes. Giver 2-3 tablespoons of canned pumpkin with all of her meals for the next few days. The fiber will help move the bone through. If she starts vomiting, acts lethargic, struggles to have a bowel movement, develops belly pain or won't eat then have her seen by a vet immediately since these are signs of a blockage. You might consider having an x-ray done at your vet's tomorrow to determine if the bone is passing. It will show up very well on an x-ray. If you have more questions please let me know.
Dr. Christian K., Veterinarian
Experience: 12 year of veterinary experience in surgery, medicine and behavior