CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

my dogs face is swollen and he has hives all over his body,

my dogs face is swollen and he has hives all over his body, I dont think its an allergy I think it may be from an ear infection.. could this be?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 4 years ago.
Although I can not be sure based on description alone - it certainly sounds like your dog could be having a reaction to something

Although at times a source for the reaction is difficult to identify, possibilities include insect bites, medications, contact with new objects, cleaners, etc. that may have irritated the skin. Ingestion of different or abnormal food or objects may also have played a role.

I would recommend using Benadryl now. The typical dose I use for Benadyrl is 1mg for every 1 pound of body weight. For example, a 50 pound dog should receive 50mg of benadryl. You can start and then give every 8 to 12 thereafter. Please be certain it is the product consisting of only Diphenhydramine and DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY OTHER INGREDIENTS SUCH AS A DECONGESTANT.

If the Benadryl does not help after a few doses, or if you notice worse swelling, vomiting, or even breathing changes - I would have your veterinarian take a look to make sure there is not another cause or an allergic reaction that is getting worse. At that time - if the benadryl is not working, a steroid such as Prednisone will be used.

I hope this information helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I dont think it is an alergic reaction,, could it be due to an ear infection? yesterday only half of his face was swollen ,and he has hives all over his body that go away with benadryl but come back once it wears off, today its his whole face, he keeps shaking his head because his ears are bothering him,, but im not sure if an ear infection could have caused this,, do you know?
The swelling may be due to the ear infection, yes - but the hives are indicative of an allergic reaction.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I dont understand if he has been on an antibiodic for a skin infection,, wich he has why would it not take care of the ear infection as well,, do I need a seperate one for that,,this is just so weird to me,, I breed mastiffs and I have never ran into anything like this, he looks as though he has been stung by a bee multiple times all over his body and his face is swelled up like he atr the thing,, but i know he did not get stung, and I cant think of what he would be having a reaction to because there has been no changes in his food and everything else is the same,, Im just so confused. I will be bringing him to the vet later today, I just thought it would be good to get another form of opinion before I went,, and this is my first time using this ask a vet.

Often systemic antibiotics alone are not adequate for an ear infection and topical antibiotics are also needed.

Regarding the reaction - at times a source for the reaction is difficult to identify, possibilities include insect bites, medications, contact with new objects, cleaners, etc. that may have irritated the skin. Ingestion of different or abnormal food or objects may also have played a role.

If the signs persist I would have your veterinarian re-evaluate the ear and consider other medications - as the ones you are using are obviously not effective. _____________________________________________________________________

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
have you ever heard of an ear infection causing the whole animals face to swell,, I mean yesterday it was just the side of the bad ear, and now this morning he wakes up and his whole face is swollen, and how long before the hives should go away, im just wondering how many days I should be using the benadryl, cause Im on day 2 with that and he takes 4 of the capsuls because he is 115 pounds.
Yes - I have seen this - but if the swelling is not better I would see a veterinarian in 24 hours.
_____________________________________________

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.

yesterday morning only half of his face was swollen and hives on one side of his body,, and I gave him benadryl and a antibiodic he has been on for a fungi infection for his skin,, and then I gave him a bath in a anti fungul shampoo, then this morning he his whole face was swollen and hives on his body again, I think that this may be due to an ear infection, is that possible or what else could cause these reactions its been 2 days, i am going to bring him to the vet today, but it would help to have a second opinion
As stated above - the swelling may be due to a worsening of the infection - but the hives indicate a reaction.

As listed above - a reaction to what can not be said for sure at this time - but the hives indicate a reaction - there is no other reason the hives would be there.

CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist