Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.

My dog is hacking and trying to vomit,but nothing is coming up. This has been going o

My dog is hacking and trying to vomit,but nothing is coming up. This has been going on for over 36 hours. This process repeats every 30 - 60 minutes. He has not eaten today.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I am Dr. Peter and would like to help.

1- Has he been to a dog park or kennel?

2- Can you rub his throat for 10 seconds and see if this causes him to hack?

3- Besides the hacking any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the prompt reply.

1. No
2. I did this twice and the first time he did start hacking, but the second time he did not.
3. We don't notice anthing else except that he seems tired.

I can take a short video of this episode if it is helpful.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 years ago.

Steve, this sounds like he may have an upper respiratory infection (kennel cough). If he develops a thick nasal discharge then this is caused by a bacterial infection and needs oral antibiotics. He will need to be checked by your veterinarian. In the meantime, give him 1 tablespoon of Robitussin DM every 4-6 hours.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. Is it possible to get Kennel cough w/ out going to a kennel or being around other dogs? Also, is this contagious? We have two small children.

Thanks again,
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 years ago.

It usually happens where there are many dogs like kennels. But, we need to remember these infections occur via aerosol (air) transmission. Even in your house, there had to be a dog around there that gave it to him. Now, this is most likely the cause, but, other things can present with similar cough like laryngeal paralysis (rare), but, for now start him on the robitussin dm and follow up with your vet if necessary.

It is not contagious to humans, they have there bugs and we have our own. Very species specific.