Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

my dogs ears are losing hair at the tips, falling out in clumps.

my dog's ears are losing hair at the tips, falling out in clumps. There are white, scaly patches on the ends of the tufts of hair.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 years ago.
Do the ears themselves look dirty or full of wax? You mentioned you needed to clean with peroxide?
Do he scratch at his ears or shake his head?
Does he chew or lick his feet?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

He has always scratched his ears and shaken his head. His ears look and smell clean inside. I have seen him licking his feet and legs on occasion, but not lately. I live in the woods, but he's had no fleas or ticks and I bathe him regularly.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 years ago.
Part of this still could be due to some degree of otitis externa, or an ear infection. What you see on the surface, is definitely, not what may be deeper in the ear canal.
Some dogs can also get a vasculitis (think of it like an inflammatory condition of the vessels at the periphery of the ear flap).
Others, it could be due to underlying food or enviornmental allergies.
Based on your description, well worth a veterinary checkup as a secondary infection or inflammatory cause needs meds from the vet.

I need to disappear for a hour or so to get some food.
If I can be of any further help before you accept, just reply, and i'll get back to you.
Good Luck
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is not vasculitis--I've seen that in other dogs. He's always had ear trouble, but this is a new one. I have to leave the building now--can we continue tomorrow?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 years ago.
Had to throw vasculitis out there since it involved the outer edge of the pinnae (ear flap).

actually, I can't even rule-out autoimmune conditions or even mites as a potential underlying etiology.
I could even make an argument for an internal issue like hypothyroidism.

But, you'll just keep guessing until you get into the vet for a basic test or two. Perhaps a skin scraping and/or cytology, and a blood test for an overall health assessment.

Not much else I can say at this point.