Rebecca, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have more than 30 years of veterinary practice experience.
11877925

Where can I get a small spoon splint for a 5.5 lb. miniature

Where can I get a small spoon splint for a 5.5 lb. miniature pinscher (Nina)? She fractured her leg just above the "wrist" three weeks ago, and her cast fell off. I am a college student and really can't afford to go to an Animal Hospital? I talked with the Animal Hospital where she was originally treated (Latham, NY) and they suggested the splint until I can see my regular Vet tomorrow? I live in Myrtle Beach, SC. Thank you - Andi
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 years ago.
Hi JACustomer,
I am sorry to hear about Nina.

A splint, and cage confinement are a good idea until your vet can see her tomorrow. However, as far as I know, you can only get these "spoon splints" from a veterinarian. We get them from a veterinary distributor, where we get our drugs, etc. I have never seen them sold direct to the public.

I would either just keep her strictly confined until tomorrow (in her cage except to be carried out to urinate and defecate), or you could put some support by making a splint yourself. You could get something stiff, like a tongue depressor or piece of narrow wood or metal that is about the length of her leg from the ground to her elbow, and use gauze and sticky tape like Vetwrap (which you should be able to find at a pet store or feed store) to hold it in place. Even just wrapping the leg in cotton, gauze, and tape would give her some support, and pain relief (I hope she is getting some kind of pain medication). Just be careful not to wrap too tight and cut off circulation. Better too loose (and have it fall off and have to be replaced) than too tight.

Hope this helps, Rebecca