Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

I have a 5 year-old 84lb healthy, athletic and very active

I have a 5 year-old 84lb healthy, athletic and very active lab that just injured his ACL I am told he needs surgery to repair it. What is the best and most effective method to repair it. I have been told about 3 different techniques, but would like a professional opinion as to which would be the best.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 years ago.
Wow..tough question...
It will greatly greatly depend upon the surgeon who does the surgery (and Yes, I do not recommend anyone but a boarded surgical specialist do the surgery).
For a large dog like this, the tightrope procedure would not be ideal. That's where a special suture is placed in the joint in the same orientiation as the cruciate ligament to help stabilize it. This is more suitable for small pets.
The most popular and practiced procedure is the TPLO. Where a bone cut is made, reoriented, and a bone plate is positioned. The newer procedure is called the TTA, and shows a lot of promise. Based on the dynamics in the knee joint, success of TPLO's already, and likely higher skill level with TPLO's, I would go that route. By the way, my Cocker has had a TPLO on both knees and is doing great at 12 years of age.