Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Veterinarian
Experience:  12 year of veterinary experience in surgery, medicine and behavior

Bichon 10# ate milk chocolate about 7 hrs ago and has been

Bichon 10# XXXXX milk chocolate about 7 hrs ago and has been a bit hyper and panting. Now is coughing. Is there anything I can or should do>
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 6 years ago.

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer. A few questions will help me get a clearer picture of the situation:

• Does she have any muscle twitching or shaking?
  • Are her gums a normal pink color?
  • Is she breathing normally?
  • Is she coughing anything up?
  • Has she had any vomiting?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No muscle twitching -- gums normal pink -- has been panting most of the night -- nose is warm -- she threw up when we first took her out about 2 to 3 hrs after ingestion -- Has just had a coughing spell but nothing came up. The chocolate was Hershey's Milk Choc. Nuggets approx 6 of them. Were in grandkids easter baskets. I just checked and coughing has stopped she seems to resting now and no longer panting.
The panting and hyperactivity are definitely a symptom of the chocolate but coughing is not a typical symptom. It may be that she breathed in some of the vomit to cause the coughing. This may be the worst of the problems due to the chocolate and she should improve from this point onward. Since she is acting fine now it is okay to watch her but if the coughing persists then have her seen by a vet. If you have more questions please let me know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Just one more question. What if anything should I look for that may be life threatening because I do have access to a vet hospital if it is an emergency?. I just do not know how serious this is or can be.
The only life threatening thing to be worried about is a worsening of the cough and possibly difficult breathing but that seems very unlikely. That would require veterinary attention. The chocolate can cause seizures but those should have occurred by now. I think the chances of a problem at this point are small.