Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

My dog, a lab mix, has a cut just next to the eye and the skin

Customer Question

My dog, a lab mix, has a cut just next to the eye and the skin is flapped open, but just a little, on his outer corner of the eye. How should we treat it? We have neosporin. We think he another dog got inot a scuffle over a bone and his face near the eye got scratched by the other dog.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 years ago.

Without question, I would have a vet examine him. Any injury resulting from a paw, tooth, etc..during a fight can easily become infected, despite you cleaning and applying neosporin. He should really be on oral antibiotics, as well as, an appropriate topical medication that is safe to use near the eyes.

In addition, with an injury that close to the eye, if there is ANY redness to that eye, absolutely it needs to be evaluted for a corneal ulcer (which usually you can't even see with the naked eye).

Well worth a veterinary examination.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Should we try to go to an ER vet tonight or do you think it can it wait until the morning? We are on vacation and not sure of the vets in the area.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 years ago.

I wish I could answer. Without being able to see the eye and the cut myself, I can't make that judgement call.

You can use this link to help find an ER vet in that area:

Find An Emergency VeterinarXXXXX XXXXXnk