Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.
19741892

I have a goat with no obvious eye injury, but yellow eye drainage.

I have a goat with no obvious eye injury, but yellow eye drainage. Of course, it is Friday after 5. The eye does not appear inflamed at all. I have neo poly dex on hand and saline solution. Will either help?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 7 years ago.
Hello there,

I would not used Neopolydex without having the eye stained first. If there is any corneal injury, it will make it much worse. I would flush it with saline or artificial tears 3-4 times a day. If it does not improve, have it examined.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am also wondering what the likelihood that this is contageous. She is new to us (Wednesday) and I do not want to pass it to the other 4 fainters.
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 7 years ago.
There are some contagious viral and bacterial infections in goats. If she is new, I would keep her quarantined until you see the eyes getting better. It could just be an allergic reaction, but better safe than sorry.