Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

My 18 month old,neutered female cat has vomited about 6 times

My 18 month old,neutered female cat has vomited about 6 times in the past 3 days, she seems lethargic and has lost her appetite. No diahorrea, but I did get her to eat some tuna which she vomited back after about an hour. She doesnt seem to be running a fever,and has drunk a little water. She doesnt seem to be dehydrated as her neck skin returns quickly when lifted. What do you think the problem is?
Hi there!

Is your gal depressed or is she still active?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She seems depressed most of the time now,although she did brighten up this morning when she ate some tuna,but vomited it back. Shes staying in now and dozing most of the time.
Thanks for the info.

It appears to me that your cat has a hair ball or something else causing a partial obstruction. This mass is too far down your cats digestive tract to come out her mouth but it is still making her nauseous. The best thing to do is purchase a product called Laxatone at the local pet store. Give your cat 1/4 inch of this paste every 4 hrs for the first day and then this same dose twice per day for 2 days. If your cat is feeling better, then we have moved this partial obstruction through your cats digestive tract and your cat will be fine. Keep your cat on a maintenance dose of Laxatone twice per week to prevent this from occurring again.

If your cat is still vomiting, you will have to have your vet examine your cat to be sure we have not missed something. According to the symptoms you describe, this is likely to be the problem.

Good Luck!!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Our cat has been in a cattery from last Friday, to this Monday evening. She is a very nervous and timid little cat, we have had her since birth. We did not give the cattery cat biscuits for her only tinned cat food could any of this be relevent to her current symptoms? She normally has cat biscuits and they did seem to groom her quite a bit too.
Since she has been home for almost a week, it seems unlikely that this condition is due to the stress of the cattery or the change in diet.

The stress of the cattery may have caused her to groom herself excessively causing these symptoms. Of course, it would be best to have a vet examine her to be sure I did not miss something by not being able to actually see her and examine her but if this is not available, I would try he hair ball medication first.