Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal veterinary medicine

how is vetsulin for cats any different than human regular

how is vetsulin for cats any different than human regular insulin/
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. Regular insulin is a much quicker acting insulin than Vetsulin. The actual insulin in it isn't the same as Vetsulin!!! In this situation, I absolutely wouldn't recommend giving any regular insulin. I would get into your vet as soon as possible to pick up another bottle - if they have some. Vetsulin is going off the market for a period of time and it is becoming very short in supply. So, in saying that, you may have to switch to another long acting insulin such as prozinc or glargine. Missing a couple doses of insulin is way safer than giving Regular insulin. I say this because before he was diagnosed as being a diabetic and started receiving insulin, he was most likely a diabetic for a couple weeks to months. A couple missed doses should be ok.