Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

We are moving to a new location about 600 miles from where

We are moving to a new location about 600 miles from where we live now. I have 4 cats. Three of them travel fairly well but the 4th is a terror. She is about a year old and since I found her as a stray I do not know her prior history. I guess that she had a "really bad" experience with a cat carrier as she goes ballistic when I get it out. Once she sees it and gets away there is no catching her easily. I have had friends tell me to give her some dramamine and she will go to sleep and sleep through the whole trip. This advice worries me as she is not very big. (less than 10) pounds. Help, how can I get her there without stressing her out so much.
HI there and welcome to Justanswer!

Dramamine is a commonly used medication in cats usually used for motion sickness but it does have a side effect of causing drowsiness. This effect is different in every cat so this may or may not help you. Do a trial run before you try. The dose is 12.5 mg every 8 hrs. even for small cats.

If this is not sufficient, your vet will have a tranquilizer called acepromazine that is very effective for transport.

happy Tails!!