Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.

my chinchilla has become fussy over her food, is lethargic

my chinchilla has become fussy over her food, is lethargic and has a runny nose. her fur is also very matted and has poo stuck to it but im reluctant to give a dust bath due to her runny nose. how can i help her?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for using, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

I'm sorry your chin is not feeling well. It sounds like she is suffering from either an upper respiratory infection or tooth problems. The problem teeth would be not be the ones in front but theXXXXXin the back. If it's a respiratory infection then she needs antibiotics to help her get over it before it becomes pneumonia. If it is tooth problems a vet can help you by trimming the teeth and she'll begin eating right away. If your chin stops eating entirely then it is becoming an emergency and cannot wait. I'd recommend taking her in to her doctor. I hope this helps, best wishes.

Dr. Dan