Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

what do you do for hotspots on dogs she has alot of allergies

Customer Question

what do you do for hotspots on dogs? she has alot of allergies internal and external
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 years ago.
Hi there and welcome to Justanswer!

From what you have told me, it appears that your dog is suffering from some type of allergic reaction. This could be due to anything such as dust, pollen, fleas. The constant scratching can cause a secondary pyoderma or skin infection or what you are seeing as Hot Spots. The first thing to do is to give your dog Benadryl that can be purchased over the counter at any pharmacy. Give your dog Benadryl at 1 mg per pound of weight given twice a day for 1 week. If there is a secondary pyoderma, apply Betadine to these areas after clipping away the hair. This can also be purchased at any pharmacy. If there is no response in a week’s time, you will have to have your vet examine your dog to see if we have missed something such as parasites or other infections.

Good Luck!!!

Hi there and welcome to Justanswer!

Good Luck!!!

Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have accepted your anser, but I dont know why it wont go through the rest of the way. I will keep trying to get it to go through. We had no results from the benadryl and Abbie was suffering so badly we had her put down. It broke our hearts, but we felt it was the best thing to do for her. Thank you
I am soo sorry to hear that!

Sometimes it is the best thing to stop the suffering.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Abbie!!