How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. C Your Own Question
Dr. C
Dr. C, Veterinarian
Category: Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 545
Experience:  30 years in companion,exotics, birds,horses vet practice. Animal owner45 years.
Type Your Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a client who wants to know what to do if her pet gets

Resolved Question:

I have a client who wants to know what to do if her pet gets ahold of her cigarette lighter and ingests some or all of it. Besides quit smoking and throwing away all the lighters and contacting her veterinarian, what should she do? Make her pet vomit?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. C replied 6 years ago.



In 25 years of practice, I haven't seen this happen. Generally the dog may chew on the case, but rarely gets into the flammable liquid. Depending on what liquid is in there, as there are several different possibilities, one needs to know the manufacturer to determine the potential exactly. The government link may help this owner know how to handle the situation. Basically poison control is the answer- so she needs to have the animal poison control number for her area, which she can get from her vet, on hand. It is useful to have it for other issues too, other than lighters. Seven month old dogs like to chew on everything, so make sure she has ample suitable toys to satisfy the urge.


I hope this is helpful.

Dr. C and 2 other Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you

Related Veterinary Questions