Dr. Larson
Dr. Larson, Veterinarian
Experience:  Active in private practice since 2000. Both large and small animal practice for throughout career.

my dog went to vets and was given some tablets,they are called

my dog went to vets and was given some tablets,they are called CARPROFEN 50mg 2 tablets once daily i just found out that my daughter gave my dog 2 tablets this morning and without realising that my daughter had already given the daily dose my partner gave another 2 of the same tablets to my dog not realising she had already had them so now she has had 4 x 50mg carprofen im so worried as i dont know if this is going to harm her she is asleep at the moment please please can someone let me know as soon as possible as i am going out of my mind with worry and need to know thankyou for your time
ms pamela wetherall
If you have not been able to get her to throw up yet, give her a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide. This should cause vomiting within about 10 minutes. If there is no vomiting, the dose of peroxide can be repeated . This should get the majority of the medication out of her stomach.

The dose she received is unlikely to cause a severe problem in the short term. However, me must think about the long term effects. With very high doses of Carprophen, we can see liver and kidney problems. The dose your dog received is not likely to cause any real problems for her.

I hope this is helpful, and good luck.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
we have no peroxide and no where is open its bank holiday and i am bed bound myself and cant weight bare its been a couple of hours since she took them so i think its too late for the peroxide
There is not much else you are likely to have around the house that is safe to use to induce vomiting, other then what you have already tried. The recommended dose of Carprofen is 2mg per pound. It does not sound as though your dog has gotten a high enough dose to cause any real problems as a one time dose. Make sure she has plenty of water, and you can give a tablespoon of Pepto Bismol or Kaopectate to try and prevent any stomach problems.