Rebecca, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have more than 30 years of veterinary practice experience.
11877925

My cat had her 5 kittens this morning. I wondered how long

My cat had her 5 kittens this morning. I wondered how long l should wait before she starts feeding them until getting concerned? Its been 2 hours now and she has already left them and doesn't seem very interested in them. Thank you
Hi JACustomer,
I would be concerned now. Most mother cats hardly leave their kittens at all for the first few days. Often the first kittens born are nursing even before the last kitten is born.

If they have not yet nursed, they need to nurse soon. The bond between the kittens and the mother is strengthened by nursing, and her grooming the kittens. The longer they go without her being with them, the less likely she will bond with them.

I hope you do not have to hand raise these babies on a bottle; this is very time consuming, and hard to do. I would really try to get her to stay with the kittens, and get them nursing as soon as you can.

Good luck, Rebecca