Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice

Im not quite sure if my bitch is pregnant..can you help p

Customer Question

I'm not quite sure if my bitch is pregnant..can you help please??
She has been mated with my two dogs and should be 6 weeks gone...the signs are erected nipples and her vulva is slightly enlarged and she keeps licking it!! She is quite and has began to bark alot..but her tummy doesn't seem enlarge, somedays it does and someday it doesn' not quite sure if she is pregnant..she has been pregnant before but has absorbed them.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 6 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
There are four ways to accurately tell if a dog is pregnant, palpation (feeling her abdomen), a hormone assay test, radiography and ultrasound. Palpation is an art to itself and requires quite a bit of experience to be reliable as a diagnostic tool in detecting pregnancy. Hormone assays are accurate and require the submission of a blood sample to a laboratory. Radiography and ultra sound (MRI's and CAT scans would work as well) are very accurate in diagnosing pregnancy as well as showing the number of pups.
The other symptoms of pregnancy may manifest in false pregnancies and spontaneously aborted pregnancies and are not very accurate predictors of normal healthy pregnancy, especially in a bitch with a history of spontaneous abortions or resorptions, unfortunately.
If you should have further questions, please let me know.
Good luck!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.