Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of small animal veterinary medicine
14018973

i work in a veterinary facility. could i have gotten scabies

i work in a veterinary facility. could i have gotten scabies from there?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. If you've been around any animal that has had scabies, then you could have gotten it. Here is a great link on scabies to provide you more information.http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=616
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i don't have any animals at home. the only animals i am around are at work. i work in a veterinary school. i have heard you can get scabies from birds. is it true? i also clean areas that rats have been in. I now have scabies and so does my toddler son. my other son and husband do not have any signs. we are all being treated. my pediatrician said i probably brougt it home from work. could this be?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 years ago.
It is definitely possible that you brought home the scabies from work. The scabies mite can live in the environment under ideal conditions for a couple weeks. Birds aren't considered a true host for them. I wouldn't be that suspicious you got them from then. Rodents on the other hand can have them. You could have been infected from them. Your toddler then got infected from being in close contact with you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what do i do to protect myself and family, if i indeed brought them home from work?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 years ago.
You need to limit your exposure to those animals that are possibly infected. Being exposed to them is a risk due to your line of work. I would carefully handle any animals with skin lesions with protective gloves on. I would also make certain to wash your hands very thoroughly numerous times a day and especially after handling animals or any bedding.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i don't actually handle any animals at all. i clean areas animals have been in. when i clean the lab classrooms, what can i do to protect myself. they teach classes in these rooms and they have animal handling classes in there also. i sometimes feel itchy after cleaning the room that they do the training classes in. i just always assumed it was the hairs from the animals, mainly rats. i wipe all tables down and chairs and floors is there anything else i can do?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 years ago.
I would consider wearing cleaning gloves when you're doing the cleaning. I would wash your hands and arms very well after each room that you clean. I would also consider bringing a change of clothes to work and changing out at the end of the day. If you wanted to be extra safe, you could even shower at the end of the day too prior to coming home. Scabies isn't considered highly contagious. You've most likely been working in this environment now for a long time and just now had an infection. There are a lot of owners, vets, vet techs and animal care givers that are around positive pets that don't get infected themselves. If you take these precautions, you should be ok.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience: 13 years of small animal veterinary medicine
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ty so much for your help and yes i have been in that area for about 5 yrs now and this is the first time and hopefully the last.