Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of small animal veterinary medicine
14018973

I just dewormed a small dog I found (she was infested with

I just dewormed a small dog I found (she was infested with tape worms) on Monday. If I take her to my vet tomorrow is she likely to still show signs of infestation in her stool, etc? Just wondering because I want confirmation of the poor condition she came to me in (she has other issues too) to make sure she is not able to be claimed by the people that were 'supposedly' taking care of her. They are not her owners. Just people that found her originally and are trying to convince us they were caring for her 'so well' in the last month or so. I need to get her well and get them off my back with the threat of: If you want to claim you were caring for the dog, then I will pursue animal neglect charges on you. Anyway, I certainly wasn't going to let her suffer meanwhile just to prove my point but I am hoping there will be signs of the parasites left behind (4 days later) to be confirmed tomorrow.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 years ago.
I'm very glad to hear that you are giving this little girl the quality of care that she deserves. I saw your post on the legal forum (just to get more information) and hope things go well with your obtaining this girl. I'm curious where in Iowa you reside as I'm from there.
As far as your wondering if a stool sample will still show signs of intestinal parasites? It is possible. The reason for this is that the over the counter dewormer you used may not have been the correct strength or just not worked as well as the one your vet has access too. Honestly, your vet will be able to attest to the quality of care this girl has received up to this point through their physical exam. If her body condition is poor, that will indicate more than just seeing tape worms in her stool. The reason I say this is that I've seen some very well cared for pets that have tape worms. Ask your vet to document in their records the level of care she's received up to this point.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience: 13 years of small animal veterinary medicine
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sure I know tapes can be from fleas, eating road kill (rabbits mainly), etc. I just want as much ammo against these idiots as I can find This dog is so thin that you can feel her spine as well her hip points. Yeah, she's wire haired, so she's not gonna be soft but this is gross. Her coat is dull and broken off in many areas. I have washed many dirty shelter or stray dogs in my time but she gets the price for the most discolored water! Her little teeth are all wore down like she's been chewing her way out of a concrete slab her whole life. Let's just put it this way, there's a huge difference between her and what my 10 yr old JRT looks like! This girl has had a hard life probably from the beginning but they had atleast a month to get her some vet care and didn't. They couldn't even put a couple lbs on her at the very least. So they are not adequate owners in my eyes and they have no legal rights to her. I will not give her back under any circumstances. I am from N.E. Iowa (Charles City).

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 years ago.
I'm very glad to hear that you're fighting to give this one the care that she deserves. It is sad when people don't realize how lucky they are to have the opportunity to have a pet. Some treat this responsibility very poorly. From what you're describing, she's going to be so happy to be with you and your family. Again, your vet will document the condition she's in and that will be a very big part of your argument for keeping her. You have a good basis of knowledge knowing that tapeworms can come from the fleas or the road kill! This little one is definitely going to a good home! I've been past Charles City a couple dozen times on my way to visit friends in Spencer, IA. Just never had the time to stop and with the 218 bypass... Maybe this summer when I go up there, I'll take some time to go through. I like traveling through all the towns in Iowa. Each one is unique in their own way.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I live in town now (Charles City) but I grew up on an acreage outside of Rockford, Ia. I despise in town living, especially in this town. People are always throwing away pets like garbage, with little to no consequences. It's not like where I grew up. We, as well as our neighbors, always cared for our livestock and companion animals with high quality care. It's been a rude awakening living in a town where my ideals are not the norm but the minority. If I were you, I'd keep driving by! My vet just relocated here and is already pulling her hair out with the high levels of ignorance she's encountered so far. I will fight for this girl because we love her. She is an absolute dream! Great personality and so eager to please. I think she thinks she's died and gone to heaven. P.S. I did always want a wiener dog and what's one more to feed?! ha ha