How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Christian K. Your Own Question
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Veterinarian
Category: Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 10146
Experience:  12 year of veterinary experience in surgery, medicine and behavior
Type Your Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Christian K. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We believe our 7 month old puppy ingested difethialone. We

Customer Question

We believe our 7 month old puppy ingested difethialone. We found two traps (which were up on a desk) that were chewed up with the block missing. My husband found them yesterday but he didn't realize that they had blocks in them.

The puppy, approx. 13 pound yorkiepoo seemed fine today. His bowel movements were fine and he was active and hungry. What should I do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 6 years ago.

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer. A few questions will help me get a clearer picture of the situation:

  • Has he had any coughing and is he breathing normally?
  • Are his gums a normal pink color?
  • Have you noticed any nose bleeds, bruising or blood in his urine?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He has not been coughing and seems to be breathing normally, and he has not had any nosebleeds. I don't know if he has had blood in the urine. His gums are pink.
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 6 years ago.
That is very good news. Thank you for the information. Rat poison actually causes a clotting disorder in the affected animal, leading to excessive bleeding, anemia and death. The good news is that is not an immediate poisoning and can take 12-24 hours to start but can then last in the body for 2-3 weeks. The symptoms of a problem are pale gums, coughing, bruising anywhere on the body, lethargy, and blood in the stool or urine. The antidote is a prescription of vitamin K and it is very effective. It is given for 2-3 weeks until the rat poison is out of his system. Even though he may not have ingested any poison, it would be best to call your vet about getting a prescription for vitamin K. It is a very safe medication and relatively cheap. If you have more questions please let me know. Here's a link with more:

Dr. Christian K. and 6 other Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So you think I'll be OK if I take him to see my vet in the morning?
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 6 years ago.
Since he is acting fine now, I think that is fine. If he shows any of those symptoms have him seen tonight.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you very much! Have a good night!
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 6 years ago.
You too. Good luck.

Related Veterinary Questions